Tuesday, April 14, 2015

PREACHER Class 13

1.) Prominent symbol in the reading, how were they used?

Several icons I found significant to the reading were, priest rope, angel wings, demon, guns, cowboy hats, cigarette, sheriff and outlaw characters. All of these elements make this comic appears quite gritty an suggests the theme of conflict between moral ideal that cram into a big pool of grey. Religion that were usually portrayed as being pure has been portrayed quite tainted or dark in this comic. 

2.) Is there an aspect of the story that I can make personal connection? What’s the connection?

It’s actually quite difficult for me to resonate with the story as I’m not too familiar with a characteristic of film noir western and christian point of view. A kind of relationship I have for this work is more of an audience who watch foreign film. Although, one thing I might be able to understand is an attempt to portray characters with no definitive moral side. I think that grey area is also a strong characteristic of western film genre hero (like cowboy etc). 

3.) If I am to adapt this story to another medium, what change would I make?


No matter what medium Preacher has a potential to be adapted into, I personally would establish more refined motif to the plot. Some example would be a stronger sense of suspense which gives audience a stronger motivation to read. The story doesn’t necessarily need more action but I think it need less talking as the visual narrative should stand for itself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment