Tuesday, April 14, 2015

WEEK 11 assignment : David Mazzucchelli, Asterios



The first thing that impacted me as I read Asterios was the intelligent uses of graphic as a tool of expression and it’s beautiful clean compositions. I could see that character designs were referenced from representative icons of various art traditions. The presentation was done quite well and friendly for readers to read and the character development was good, especially the main character that didn’t seem very likable to me at first become quite charming later on. The work is well done overall except the ending that felt quite empty to me. 

I think this work is an example of art that was well developed in the framework of it’s medium. I doubt that any other mediums can express the potential of the story at the same level as it can in graphic novel. It shows that still images evoke an expression from icon in a way moving pictures can’t. That is a heartwarming fact for a person who have an appreciation in static medium like me. Graphic novel will probably never really fade away but adapt itself into various forms. Although, it must prove it’s true quality by staying true to it’s value that is irreplaceable by any other mediums. 


Now that we see the contemporary form of graphic novel/comic, what is the future? One thing that I’m expecting from the future comic medium is an extremely dynamic cross-over of styles. Although beyond that, ironically as a motion designer who study art in motion, I believe that there is a unique value and even motion in inanimate mediums. The motion, tempo and rhythm human can perceive from series of images composed altogether is unique. Now that we have an ability to compose images out of frame it will probably let us see the comic that break the flat space of print medium very soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment