Tuesday, April 14, 2015

WEEK 10 assignment : Tezuka Osamu, Buddha



A year ago I tried to read Tezuka Osamu’s Buddha to fulfill my semi manga-scholar path but I didn’t have enough time to finish it so I took this chance to complete the series. After I read it I realized that the strongest aspect I could perceive from his work is the passion. Passion in this definition refers to the general passionate tone of the work that filled with triumph and sorrow. It can be clearly seen from his dramatic narrative and exceptionally strong cinematography. The use of shadows and overall flow of the compositions are stunning and very energetic. Under his lovable drawings, sense of empty space and amazing line works there are many layers of darker and deeper theme waiting to be explored. His work is not a work created to resonate with innocence, yet it communicate deeply intellectual contents intuitively to all ages of audiences. 

The fact that I know the original story of Buddha made me realize that Tezuka’s version is filled with interpretations and has been done very intelligently. Coming from conservative Thai culture where Buddhism has been made sacred, I admire Tezuka’s vision to create work of art that stands for itself and functioned at best of it’s aesthetic. I’m aware that religion is a sensitive theme but I think the way people learn about self is unique to individual and Buddha manga doesn’t serve as a documentary but a story to learn from and I believe the author knows that his intended audiences could understand. 


To me the greatness of Tezuka's works isn’t just a creation of style but sample of possibilities that comic can be more that it appears to be and can become more than it has ever been. His works according to his ideal has always been an attempt to convince people to care for the world and life itself and I believe that such abstract yet significant concept is the strongest root to inspire future traditions like it has been for manga. 

No comments:

Post a Comment