Saturday, April 25, 2015

WEEK 13 assignment : Brian K. Vaughan, Fiona Staples, Saga



I’ve heard of Saga several times but never had a chance to read it. To be honest I’m not that familiar with Modern American Comic, though after I read the first book I wanted to read more. One thing I like about this comic in comparison to other works I’ve read throughout this semester was a minimal amount of texts. This parallel to the art style that is easy to digest. There’s not much unnecessarily details cluttered over drawings. This overall clean approach make the work charming, contemporary and easy to follow. 

I think this approach allowed the flow of the story to be more saturated as well as allowing us to observe characters personality from their actions and interactions with others. Moreover, the narrator is a trustworthy voice as she is a child of the two main characters. In fact, the theme of family and family oriented life balanced out the action adventure very well as it gives characters a strong purpose to survive. 


Speaking in term of the story, what I like the most about Saga is the design approach that make each elements purposeful. I don’t feel like there is any wasted character in the story and each of the them serve narrative purpose very well. I found the two main characters Marko and Alana quite charming as they are the representative of themselves not moral nor generic archetypes. Most importantly, the character development convey an anti war message in a tasteful way. The work surely contain it’s own unique vibes. Saga is not a kind of work that I can expect better not because it’s the best work I’ve ever read but it’s strongly stands for itself. There’s not many other works I know of that can be compare to this comic and adding traits from other genre would be unnecessarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment